I recently added the fifth and final episode of Carving a Cartouche for a Philadelphia Highboy to my Online Carving School. This has been one of the longest lessons I have made (only to be out-done by the Dragon and Acanthus Lesson) and totals around 4 hours. Here is a brief introduction video that shows some of what is included in this lesson.
The lesson covers every part of the carving:
• lowering the area outside the “Philadelphia Peanut”
• re-drawing the design onto the lowered surface
• dividing up all the large elements in the carving
• carving all the details -c-scrolls, leaves and abstract shell design (sometimes called rocaille)
• releasing the design from backer board
• carving the back-side of the cartouche
• finishing up the top curled leaf and the lower rope design
You can see my blog post with photos on the carving process here.
This lesson (along with most other lessons in my online school) is also available in downloadable form for individual purchase for $34.99. This is an option for those who are not members of my online carving school.
There is also a resin casting available for sale. This lesson in particular is important to have something to view while your are carving it. This casting helps a lot in showing the subtle shapes in this complex design.
Now you just need to build a Philadelphia Highboy so you have a place to put your cartouche!