Discussions on this forum are membership-run. I (Mary May) will monitor conversations and will try and contribute as needed. However, I can't guarantee that I will always have time to keep up with the discussions. Please feel free to contribute, as the only way this forum will be successful is if members get involved! I will also be the "judge and juror" with inappropriate, rude, or offensive behavior, so play nice!
The discussions on this forum can be read by anyone, but if you would like to join in and participate, please login or register as a Free Member.

60 degree v chisel is always better than 45 degree

I'm absolutely loving Mary's lessons on carving for 18th century furniture, ie pie crust, acanthus on cabriole legs, flame finials. I have found that I love my 60 degree v chisel way more then the 45. Seems to me that anything a 45 can do, a 60 can do better. More precise, finer lines, crisper edges, etc. My question is why even have a 45? .....other then that it's a little easier to sharpen. Yet a 45 seems to be much more commonly used.

I have about 15 v-chisels and they ALL are 60 degree angles. It just seems to be the perfect shape. The only reason to have anything that is a smaller angle (45 or 50 degree) would be to create a much sharper, pointed corner for more detailed, finished cuts. I find anything with a tighter angle is more difficult to sharpen because most slip stones do not fit. The 90 degree angle is simply useless. But that's just my humble opinion 🙂

interesting information