• From Mike Cogswell on Starting to Carve - Beginner Lesson #2

Another subject for beginners like myself could be the carving environment.

Bench(s)
    Workholding (vises, clamps, screws, etc)
    Lighting
    Standing vs sitting (do you ever sit on a stool while carving?)

2012/07/12 at 3:18 pm
  • From steve whitaker on Sharpening a V-Chisel - Beginner Lesson #5

Thanks for the video, I look forward to learning more about carving

2012/07/11 at 3:48 pm
  • From Mike Cogswell on All About Gouges

Nice overview - played great.

You mentioned the pros and cons of the brass and wood mallets a bit. But what about the polyurethane one you had on the bench? I'm guessing it isn't your favorite since you ignored it completely. 😉

2012/07/08 at 8:46 pm
    • From Mary on All About Gouges

Hmmmm - I think you might be referring to the one with the lighter colored handle (at the far right on the screen)? That is actually a dark turned wood mallet. The screen color has some unfortunate tint. Working on that...

By the way, polyurethane mallets work fine. Whatever gets the mallet through the wood. I actually had one once, and I used it to really hog out a lot of wood on one job, and the plastic broke apart - that was a lot of pounding! Now that mallet is a simple wood mallet 🙂

2012/07/10 at 7:38 pm
  • From Mike Cogswell on All About Gouges - Beginner Lesson #3

Nice overview - played great.

2012/07/08 at 8:46 pm
    • From Mary on All About Gouges - Beginner Lesson #3

2012/07/10 at 7:38 pm
  • From Mike Cogswell on What videos would you like to see?

Also - a barley twist leg. I imagine it's basically like the reeded leg, but with a spiral layout?

- Mike