• From Charles Campbell on Carving Hands - Episode 4

Very nice. I know what you mean about knowing when to stop. I've ruined many of mine by not calling it quits
    soon enough. That was alot of effort on your part but I learned alot. Thanks

2022/05/28 at 12:33 pm
  • From John Cook on Carving a Country Scene - Episode 3

Mary,
    It was very helpful to me to hear your thinking through this project. Before I had taken any lessons I carved an Empty Cross and Empty Tomb scene in Mahogany, and I have felt I needed to go back over it. This series of lessons has helped me to see what I need to do. Thanks.

2022/05/20 at 6:36 pm
    • From MaryMay on Carving a Country Scene - Episode 3

Hi John,
      Wonderful! That would be a challenging project. And truly, when we are creating carvings, the most difficult thing to do is to know when it's finished.

2022/05/22 at 9:06 am
  • From Philip Price on Sharpening a V-Chisel - Beginner Lesson #5

Final honing inside the tip of the bottom corner of the V is tricky.

I use a stretched length of Dental Floss rubbed with compound to get right inside the tiny spot.
    Couple of strokes along a 18 inch length is good.

2022/05/16 at 5:47 am
  • From Paul Fuhrman on How to Draw with Perspective

Mary, I like your teaching style as you go into details about sharpening gouges, to explaining how to layout the work. I look forward to learning more technique from each lesson. Thanks! Paul Fuhrman

2022/05/11 at 8:33 pm
  • From imran sajan on Carving Stylized Serif Lettering in Capitals - Episode 2

Hello Mary. I see you using the single bevel chisel (carpenters) and not the carvers usual dual bevel chisel. What is the advantage? Thank you

2022/05/06 at 7:23 pm
    • From MaryMay on Carving Stylized Serif Lettering in Capitals - Episode 2

Hello Imran,
      The flat chisel I prefer is still a carving chisel, but does have a single bevel. There is a difference between this one and a bench chisel, as I believe the angles of the bevel would be more like 30 degrees for a regular woodworkers chisel, where the carving chisels are 22 to 23 degrees. Bench chisels are challenging to carve with because of the bulkiness. I am aware of the double-bevel carving chisels, but definitely prefer the single bevel because of the versatility of either using it bevel side up or bevel side down.

2022/05/11 at 7:14 am