I have the inside of the shell pretty close to the final surface – some touching up still needs to be done, but it is basically there. I have a lovely long-bent that is a #4 or #5 gouge that has been very helpful in getting around the curved surface (you can see in the photo – the gouge on the left side). I tried to use a spoon bent, but was not “spoon” enough – it just dug in.
I am ready for a weekend to rest my hands and my right shoulder. I can carve with both hands when I push the chisel through the wood, but when it comes to using a mallet, I’m locked in using my right hand. If I tried putting the mallet in my left hand, I’d probably do too much damage to my poor right hand. Every other attempt to hit the chisel would miss – and the learning process is too painful, so I haven’t tried.
I used a cardboard template with the curve profile to get the correct curve throughout the surface. It is a slow process, but I got there!
Looks like Hurricane Irene has given us a little wind and rain today, but nothing significant. We are praying that she decides to go wander off into the ocean and leaves our northeastern neighbors alone.