I had a great time at the Woodcraft Store in Greenville, SC. I taught for 4 hours on Friday, and then the class finished up with 5 hours of class on Saturday. Everyone did great. It was a challenging project and we covered a lot of issues that come up when carving such as:
– how to sharpen tools
– how to use both your right and left hand
– how to get a clean, crisp edge in relief carving
– how to work with a lot of different grain issues
– how to use a “slicing” motion with the gouge to get clean cuts
– how to think through the process of carving in order to make it the most efficient
– how to work with overlapping objects to create a 3 dimensional appearance
It was a fun group of people, and everbody did a great job with their carving.
I will be in Greenville again in December to teach how to carve the ball and claw foot. This will be at the Woodcraft Supply store also.