• From Christian Rapp on All About Gouges - Beginner Lesson #3

Thanks Mary! I ordered the basic set with the gauges from Pfeil. In Germany it costs approx. 160 Euro.

A funny coincidence was that just today Paul Sellers, who I am following for woodworking, released a video "How to carve a bowl". A sign to get deeper into carving 😉 And recently got some planks of Linden wood (lime). Hope the set arrives soon. Thanks for quick reply and all the good content. Christian

2022/07/29 at 3:50 pm
    • From MaryMay on All About Gouges - Beginner Lesson #3

Hi Christian,
      Thank you! I love Paul Sellers. I have also been trying to find sources of Linden here in the US, and it is very challenging. American basswood is close, but would love to be able to have some real UK Linden (Grinling Gibbon's wood :). I think there is an issue with exporting any wood these days.

2022/08/06 at 10:23 pm
  • From Sandi Rubie on Carving a Philadelphia Shell - Episode 1

I thoroughly enjoy listening to you explain the best way to approach your carvings and then watch you carve. Thank you Mary! Very, Very relaxing and now time for me to go carve. You inspire me with all your talent and knowledge with all of your lessons. Have a bless day.

2022/07/28 at 12:21 pm
  • From Ronn Winkler on Carving a Philadelphia Shell - Episode 1

Question - WHy do you use such a dull point on your pencils when laying out a carving. Is it for the camera or is there another reason?

2022/07/28 at 10:29 am
    • From MaryMay on Carving a Philadelphia Shell - Episode 1

🙂 Your question really made me smile - laugh actually. I honestly never really thought about this, and I had to think about your question before answering it. I guess there a few reasons - I don't have a pencil sharpener (I use my chisels), I am not an engineer, but an artist so most of my lines are "approximate" - the thicker the line, the more options I have, whenever I do sharpen my pencils to a point with my chisels they usually break within the first 30 seconds of drawing, the thicker line doesn't really bother me. I can't think of any other reasons, and I'm sorry this bothers you 🙂

2022/07/28 at 10:03 pm
      • From Ronn Winkler on Carving a Philadelphia Shell - Episode 1

Doesn't bother me even though I was was an engineer. Just asking. I laughed when you said you don't have a sharpener. I can see some advantages to a thicker pencil line. I'll give it a try. Have fun at MASW. I love it there.

2022/08/04 at 12:56 pm
  • From Christian Rapp on All About Gouges - Beginner Lesson #3

Dear Mary,

I am a weekend woodworker and I am interested to add some carving to my projects. At the moment I am only interested in what you call insized carving (so no background removal). Therefore, my question if for that the beginner set still is suitable or you should drop the chisels you recommend for background removal and/ or different ones instead.

Thanks in advance
    Christian

2022/07/28 at 1:56 am
    • From MaryMay on All About Gouges - Beginner Lesson #3

Hello Christian,
      You should be fine with the basic set to start, but it really depends on how deep the incised carving is. You may need some spoon bent gouges to reach into deeper areas and back-grounding. Depending on the sizes of carving, maybe some #3 or #5 spoon bent gouges.

2022/07/28 at 9:57 pm
  • From Paul Fuhrman on Carving an Acanthus Leaf on a Turned Leg

Thank you Mary for your dedication to your craft. I am learning so much from videos
    and am encouraged to becoming better at wood carving. I've been in woodworking for six years starting out building furniture for my wife who loves what I can build. Also have become fair
    at woodturning. I became intrested in woodcarving because it easier on my body than woodturning. I'm happy to have found you on youtube.
    Thanks for your advice and talents in woodcarving.
    Paul Fuhrman