• From Eric Mortensen on Carving a Tiny Rosette

Hi,
    I am new here.
    in the video you took off your glasses to see better.
    Have you ever carved under a magnifier light?

2022/06/24 at 6:55 am
    • From MaryMay on Carving a Tiny Rosette

Hello Eric,
      I have not tried this (maybe I'm in denial and that is definitely saying I'm getting old). One day...

2022/06/25 at 2:50 pm
  • From Wayne Whiting on Carving Hands - Episode 4

That was a tough one Mary. It's the first time I had to rely on what I could see rather than just follow your steps. Worth the challenge!

2022/06/23 at 12:11 pm
    • From MaryMay on Carving Hands - Episode 4

Yes, this is very sculptural. And I'll be honest - if I carved this again, the process could be completely different. It is really the process of figuring out what to do first, what to do second, etc. and how each affects the other elements in the design.

2022/06/25 at 2:49 pm
  • From John Cook on Removing Dents from Wood

I had a Red Oak board that had several dents in it, which looked like had been caused by a metal object like a hammer. So after watching your lesson, I applied some Distilled Water to the damaged area, and not having an Iron, I just let it sit to dry. About 2 hours later I observed that the dents were entirely gone.

2022/06/21 at 3:26 pm
  • From colin liddicoat on Carving a Camellia Flower - Beginner Lesson #8

Hi Mary ,I am in the process of carving a work boot in the round.This is my first project in the round,do you have any tips for shaping it?

2022/06/19 at 11:16 am
    • From MaryMay on Carving a Camellia Flower - Beginner Lesson #8

Hello Colin,
      That would probably be more of a "whittling" project, where you would hold it in your hand and carve with smaller knives or small palm gouges. You will probably find youtube videos on this type of carving, but this isn't really the style I teach.

2022/06/25 at 2:47 pm
  • From Mya on Carving a Live Oak Applique - Episode 1

Also. Do you use the wood with the grain going in an upward as in a ‘u’ shape or with it going downward as in an ‘n’. Complete beginner here

2022/06/03 at 8:30 pm