• From Maurice Bacon on Carving a Camellia Flower - Beginner Lesson #8 - Episode 1

I have watched the first part of the Camellia flower. I have some questions. 1, do I need to buy a fishtail as well as the normal tool, ie: if I buy a 7.6 do I have to get a 7.6 fishtail.. 2, what size Vtool do I need to cut this flower? thanks. Maurice Bacon.

ie I do enjoy watching you carve, I Get such a lot out of it.

2021/05/10 at 11:34 am
  • From Rick Weldy on Carving a Grapevine Swag

I'm looking for episode 2, but not finding it.

2021/05/09 at 9:42 am
    • From MaryMay on Carving a Grapevine Swag

Hi Rick,
      This is going to be a 4-episode lesson and is in the process of being added over the next 3 weeks. Each Wednesday evening a new episode is added until the complete lesson is added.

2021/05/11 at 8:02 am
  • From Cecil Hoo on Carving a Charleston Rice Bed Variant - Episode 1

Hi mary how r u. Firstly i want to thank u for responding to my questions and comments. Seeing that furniture finish is usually very smooth how do u get the carving to have that very smooth furniture finish. Thanks.

2021/05/09 at 12:24 am
    • From MaryMay on Carving a Charleston Rice Bed Variant - Episode 1

I try to get that finish with carving tools, but sometimes you may need to use sandpaper. Just be careful to not sand away the fine details. Also make sure you use sandpaper that doesn't leave bits of grit in the wood (Mirka is a great one that does not leave grit), or if you decide to carve on the surface again your tools will get dull quickly.

2021/05/11 at 8:00 am
  • From Cecil Hoo on Carving a Paulownia Leaf - Episode 2

Great lesson and informative. Now i just need to go and practice.

2021/05/05 at 8:55 pm
  • From Cecil Hoo on Carving a Paulownia Leaf - Episode 1

Great lesson. Just what thw doctor ordered. Lol. This is exactly whete i had my difficulties. Not knowing how to create the illusion that the leaf is curling and twisting. Now i have a much greater concept of how to do it. Looks like the whole objective is to scoop out so u can undercut at the edge of the leaf. Usually in this kind of carving do u undercut the backside first. And in ur opinion which is the best size gouge for scooping out. Thanks.

2021/05/05 at 7:47 pm