Recent Comments

Recent Comments 2017-11-30T01:05:07-04:00
  • From Bob Easton on Carving a Large Shell Niche - Episode 1

We've been hearing about this "Stephen" character for years. Good to see he actually exists, and good to see him as part of the lesson. Thanks for finally getting him on camera!

Thanks too for the details on constructing the foundation.

2019/04/11 at 11:59 am
    • From MaryMay on Carving a Large Shell Niche - Episode 1

Hi Bob,
      Yeah - it only took 7 years to get Stephen behind the camera. I think he really enjoyed it too, so we may see more of him. The constructing was a real brain tease. Drawing the template for this lesson took all day to make sure it was accurate...

2019/04/12 at 9:09 pm
  • From Rev. Mary Bettencourt on Carving a Large Shell Niche

Gorgeous work! Glue up and removing waste wood must have been intense. While your client wanted a fleur de lid, I really like the model shown in the China cabinet with the shell accent and also repeated on the top outer molding with a scroll. The client is always correct though, and we all live with that. Three weeks is a lot of time and effort. Hope you were well compensated, Mary

2019/04/11 at 9:16 am
    • From MaryMay on Carving a Large Shell Niche

Hi Rev. Mary Bettencourt,
      Thank you! Yes, I really liked the design with the small shell on top. It's very unique. Traditionally they just have the simple edge like this one. And yes, I feel I priced this one right 🙂

2019/04/12 at 9:07 pm
  • From Keith Rackley on Carving a Large Shell Niche

Beautiful work!

2019/04/11 at 6:22 am
  • From Joseph Oetlinger on Sharpening a Curved Gouge - Beginner Lesson #4

Thank you for this lesson.I finally got the sharpening process right. I bought a Wade & Butcher in cannel gouge that I successfully changed to an out cannel gouge.Following your lesson I was able to put a razor sharp edge on it. What a joy to use. After that I sat down and sharpened all of my cheaper tools to razor edges. I've been using what I thought were sharp tools for years but this took me to a new skill level. Your videos are great learning tools and I look forward to watching the rest of the lessons. It's nice to know an old dog like me can still learn new tricks..You are an awesome teacher.

2019/04/09 at 11:12 pm
    • From MaryMay on Sharpening a Curved Gouge - Beginner Lesson #4

Thank you Joseph! Feels good to carve with sharp tools, doesn't it?? Just a note about the in cannel gouge - if it gets dull quickly, you may have gone past the tempered part. If so, find someone who know metal working (or do it yourself) and see if they can re-temper just the end of the tool. Often there is no more than 1/2" of the end of the tool tempered.

2019/04/12 at 9:04 pm
  • From Jeff Hesketh on Carving a Traditional Fan

Hi Mary. This was a fun lesson. I recently carved this fan in to the aprons of a Paul Sellers side (walnut) table project (uploaded to your student gallery today). Even though I made a lot of mistakes, on both projects, I think the carving really adds a lot to the tables appearance. I found this to be a good confidence builder and plan to try it again using red oak. Best regards, Jeff

2019/04/01 at 9:42 am
    • From MaryMay on Carving a Traditional Fan

Hi Jeff,
      I just added your photo to the student gallery (sorry for the delay in getting to that). It's a beautiful addition to the table! Congratulations!

2019/04/04 at 6:55 pm