• From gary brewer on Carving the Convex Newport Shell - Episode 1

Hello Mary, Talking about how to handle the grain was extremely helpful. I've looked for a single bevel #1 fishtail flat gouge and have not been able to find one, only double bevel which I don't want. Would you mind telling me a source of a single bevel flat #1 gouge? Thank you

2013/02/15 at 9:47 pm
  • From gary brewer on What videos would you like to see?

I would like to see a video on carving finials, a couple of the basic varieties.

2013/02/14 at 9:13 pm
  • From nick johnston on What videos would you like to see?

I would also really love to see the process of carving a greenman.
    Thanks

2013/02/02 at 2:44 am
  • From Luis Alvarez on Carving a Basic Flower - error

Thanks Mary for explaining it so well and breaking down the different stages of carving the flower without making it appear complex or difficult.

2013/02/01 at 6:27 pm
    • From Mary May on Carving a Basic Flower - error

Definitely, if you take it in stages, the process goes smoothly. If you dive into a carving without a plan, there isn't a lot of control of where it will go. That's when those surprises come. It really helps to think through the process before starting - what will you carve first and why? What will you carve second and why? If you carve this particular part, how will it effect other parts? Thinking it through the whole process before even touching gouges to wood helps a great deal.

2013/02/01 at 10:19 pm
  • From Luis Alvarez on Sharpening a V-Chisel - Beginner Lesson #5

Thanks Mary for the nice video about how to sharpen a V-chisel. You are very thorough and patient in explaining it. I enjoy your teaching style and your friendliness. I am learning the basics with fun

Luis Alvarez