• From Abbas Moghadam on Starting to Carve - Beginner Lesson #2

I would like to appreciate you for your good method in learning .For me as a beginner , watching the videos are very interesting and useful.

2013/08/12 at 4:50 am
  • From JOSEPH BRECKENRIDGE on Carving Egg & Dart Molding in Poplar

Do you carve standing or sitting? About what height is your bench in relationship to your height? I would have sent this via email but that part of the website is not working at present.

2013/08/11 at 10:18 am
    • From Mary May on Carving Egg & Dart Molding in Poplar

I generally stand while carving because of all the different angles I need to get to. Also I end up leaning into the carving quite a lot and wouldn't be able to do this as well if I were sitting. The only time I sit it if I am doing something very small and very focused (or after I had a long day of carving and am just tired). The best height of the bench for relief carving is about 2 inches below elbow height. That usually means that the standard bench height needs to be raised quite a bit, depending on your height.

Also, thanks for letting me know about the email issue. It has been corrected.

2013/08/11 at 11:39 am
  • From Bob Easton on Carving the Ball & Claw Foot - Episode 1

Dave's question is one I had a while back. Google gave me lots of answers when I searched "ball and claw foot." The images results are especially good at showing the variations, and each image leads to a page with more information, sometimes just marketing info, other times good information about style.

2013/08/09 at 9:56 am
    • From Mary May on Carving the Ball & Claw Foot - Episode 1

I also have an article I wrote for Society of American Period furniture Makers that shows 3 basic shapes - Philadelphia, Boston, and Newport. Contact me directly and I can e-mail the images of these styles.

2013/08/11 at 11:37 am
  • From Mary May on Carving the Ball & Claw Foot - Episode 1

Hi Dave,
    I know Al Breed is very knowledgable about the various styles and he has castings of the Newport style available. He's also a great carver and woodworker.

2013/08/03 at 7:17 pm
  • From Dave Liske on Carving the Ball & Claw Foot - Episode 1

Great lesson. Can anyone tell me where I can find info on the various styles of ball and claw feet. Thanks a lot. Dave

2013/08/03 at 7:06 pm