• From nick johnston on What videos would you like to see?

I would love to see the process of making a concave Newport shell. I noticed you mentioned it was easier than the convex one you covered.

Another thing I am extremely interested in are variations of the ball & claw. I understand that subtle variations are indications of places of origin/where they are made. I have also read that there are dozens if not hundreds of different types, yet during my researching of this topic I have found very little information.

Thank you so much. Your videos are extremely helpful & informative.

-Nick

2013/01/26 at 1:29 am
  • From Bob Edwards on Carving the Convex Newport Shell - Episode 1

Mary, what thickness wood are you using for the shell? Going to try it real soon, thanks

2013/01/25 at 6:46 pm
  • From Steve Cofield on What videos would you like to see?

Hi Mary. I really enjoyed the deep relief carving lesson with nuts and leaves. Do you have any plans for a deep relief lesson for scroll style acanthus leaf patterns? Thank you, I'm learning a whole lot about carving from you!
    Steve

2013/01/24 at 3:03 pm
  • From Tom Hollis on What videos would you like to see?

Hi Mary,
    I would like to learn how to carve the pie crust edge on a tilt-top tea table.
    I'm enjoying the other great videos!
    Thanks,
    Tom

2013/01/21 at 8:07 pm
    • From Mary May on What videos would you like to see?

Tom, I'd love to do a video on this. Do you have a particular design you were wanting to carve?

2013/01/25 at 10:00 pm
      • From Tom Hollis on What videos would you like to see?

Hi Mary,
        I was thinking along the lines of Philadelphia or Chippendale style, something like the one here:

Tom

2013/02/18 at 3:53 pm
        • From Mary May on What videos would you like to see?

Hi Tom,
          Ooooh. Pretty! I'd love to do that. I'll put it on my list but can't guarantee this soon. Hey, I've got an idea. Why not commission me to build the table and then I'll film the process (the only way I get to work on things these days).

2013/03/05 at 9:09 pm
  • From Jerry Palmer on Carving a Leaf & Nut Design in Deep Relief - Episode 1

Wonderfully done and very beautiful! I am curious with all the trouble of using the hot glue why didn't you use newspaper or some other method to secure the piece down better? The newspaper worked great on the dragon carving and it was far more delicate. I absolutely love this carving!

2013/01/17 at 8:42 am
    • From Mary May on Carving a Leaf & Nut Design in Deep Relief - Episode 1

Hi Jerry. That project was completed quickly and my client was expecting to have it that afternoon. The 3 or 4 hours that was needed to wait for the glue to dry was just too much time to wait. So, the main reason I used hot-melt glue was that it was fast. Some drawbacks with it, but it generally holds pretty tight - even with the heavy mallet work. If I have more time to work on it, I definitely would have used the newspaper/glue process.

2013/01/18 at 11:40 am