Discussions on this forum are membership-run. I (Mary May) will monitor conversations and will try and contribute as needed. However, I can't guarantee that I will always have time to keep up with the discussions. Please feel free to contribute, as the only way this forum will be successful is if members get involved! I will also be the "judge and juror" with inappropriate, rude, or offensive behavior, so play nice!
Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumForum: Carving ToolsWhat is this tool?
The discussions on this forum can be read by anyone, but if you would like to join in and participate, please login or register as a Free Member.

What is this tool?

Here's an old knife I got in a collection of carving tools. I find it extremely useful in cleaning out tight spaces.

What is it called, and what is it's intended purpose?

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_0725.jpg

Hi Ed

Your tool looks very much like a Pfeil Abegglen detail knife.   The "Swiss Made" and "arrow" were my primary identifiers.
The Pfeil cataloge describes the Abegglen detail knife thus:
These detail knives have two cutting edges.  One side with a round cutting edge the other side with hollow cutting edge.  With these knives it is possible to make deep cuts, but also to do writings and ornaments.  A universal knife for many works.  Little hexagonal oiled ash handle.   

The Abegglen knife comes in three sizes
Ab G    Abegglen large -- Blade length 130 mm; Cutting edge length 33mm.
Ab M   Abegglen medium -- blade length 125 mm; Cutting edge length 27mm.
Ab K    Abegglen small -- blade length 120mm; cutting edge length 20mm.

The size might be marked on the hexagonal handle -- look for a G, M or K -- or if there is no size marking, and you don't have access to a metric ruler, know that
33mm is approximately  1 - 5/16"
27mm is approximately  1 - 1/16"
20mm is approximately   25/32"

Hope that helps

Ian N