• From Justin Reinmuth on Carving Egg & Dart Molding in Poplar

Wow and Thank You! I was wondering why my poplar Moravain bench was ripping so much when trying to carve the top. I have only been wood carving for a year, but oil and water painting my entire life so I felt very comfortable with the artistic side of carving. Poplar is not my favorite wood to be carving in that's for sure! Thank you so much for your help Mary!

2013/01/08 at 5:35 pm
  • From Rob Boursaw on All About Gouges

Do all tool makers number thier gouges the same?
    So, would a pfeil #3 6mm be the same as Stubai?
    Thanks

2012/12/26 at 9:10 pm
    • From Mary May on All About Gouges

Generally the numbers are similar if the brand is European. The only difference is the v-chisel is sometimes numbered as a #41 or #12 (60 degree angle). Occasionally a #2 is a skew, and sometimes it is a slightly curved gouge. Other than that, the numbers and shapes are pretty similar between companies.

2012/12/26 at 10:25 pm
  • From Rob Boursaw on All About Gouges - Beginner Lesson #3

Do all tool makers number thier gouges the same?
    So, would a pfeil #3 6mm be the same as Stubai?
    Thanks

2012/12/26 at 9:10 pm
    • From Mary May on All About Gouges - Beginner Lesson #3

2012/12/26 at 10:25 pm
  • From Steve Cofield on What videos would you like to see?

Hi Mary
    I would like to learn how to carve acanthus leaf designs in the scroll form. I want to try and carve cabinet door fronts with a fancy scrolling pattern.
    Steve

2012/12/23 at 3:57 pm
  • From Ken Majher on Preparing to Carve - Beginner Lesson #1

Thank you for making this video. It is very helpful.

2012/12/17 at 8:07 pm