Carving a Celtic Cross

2017-04-08T23:42:33+00:00 March 2nd, 2016|

This is a brief introduction to "Carving a Celtic Cross."

This lesson shows how to carve the very popular historical motif, the Celtic Knot, in this Celtic Cross design. This is carved in basswood and shows a dramatic 3-D illusion in the overlapping knot detail.

• Lesson Contents: 2 episodes; template, tool list, and photo in Episode 1
  • Type of Wood: Basswood
  • Size: 6-3/4"w x 9-7/8"h x 7/8"d
  • Tool List: 3mm v-chisel; 6mm v-chisel; #1, 10mm; #1, 14mm; #1, 18mm; #2, 6mm, #3, 3mm; #3, 6mm; #3, 14mm; #3, 18mm; #4, 14mm; #5, 5mm, #5, 14mm; 6mm skew chisel (optional)
  • Skill Level: Advanced

Learn how to apply an antique finish to this project with Antique Finishing on a Celtic Cross or try some other options with Basic Finishing Techniques for Basswood Carvings.

= More Lessons at the Advanced Skill Level =

1. David Piazzo March 3, 2016 at 8:28 pm - Reply

Love this Mary,
    Will definitely do this project. I have about finished my oak tree, I will post it for you when I finish.
    David

• Mary May March 4, 2016 at 7:57 am - Reply

Looking forward to it David!

2. Doug March 5, 2016 at 3:58 pm - Reply

love your introduction video. I live on a fixed pension and cannot get the full video. But can figure out how to do most of your simpler things. Keep up the good work

• Mary May March 7, 2016 at 2:59 pm - Reply

Glad you are enjoying them!

3. Frank Mazur June 25, 2016 at 3:21 pm - Reply

Where can I get basswood blank crosses for chip carving?

• Mary May June 29, 2016 at 9:03 pm - Reply

Hi Frank,
      I don’t know where you would get blanks, but you can certainly cut them yourself on a scroll saw or band saw, using my template. Premium members have access to all templates.

4. nicholas yearwood July 12, 2016 at 9:37 pm - Reply

Great videos really Educational

5. Brian March 27, 2017 at 12:31 pm - Reply

I have used a knife a lot in my past carving experience. Is there any reason i can’t or shouldn’t use a knife instead of a gouge for the setting in step? I am a visual learner and love your teaching style. I am as excited about discovering your online classes as a kid in a candy store.

• Mary May March 27, 2017 at 12:34 pm - Reply

If you are used to using a knife, then go for it! I just am not comfortable teaching this method, as I have never really learned the technique. It seems that whenever I get a carving knife in my hand, something gets cut – other than the wood 🙂

Happy carving – and BE CAREFUL!

6. Minnie Siu July 20, 2017 at 10:47 am - Reply

starting this project now! regards from Hong Kong

• MaryMay July 26, 2017 at 9:12 pm - Reply

Have Fun!

7. alan milner November 14, 2017 at 4:56 pm - Reply

Just to say I am trying your free members bit.find it really good only got some hard wood at moment. But got basswood on the way.will be signing up to your premium course keep up the good work .. from uk

• MaryMay November 14, 2017 at 7:56 pm - Reply

Thanks Alan! Enjoy! In England you may find Lime of possibly Linden wood to be more available than basswood, and is very similar.

8. alan milner November 16, 2017 at 12:54 am - Reply

Thanks Mary will look for linden wood. Just finish craving your flower . I will upload it for you to have a look at my first go .

9. colin liddicoat November 11, 2018 at 11:57 am - Reply

As a free member how much does your lesson to carve a celtic cross cost