This is a brief introduction to "Carving a Cartouche."
This 5 episode lesson is Part 3 of the "Philadelphia Highboy" series and is certainly the most challenging so far! You will learn the process of carving the ornate cartouche gracing the center of the pediment on a Philadelphia styled highboy.
- Series: Part 3 of 4 in the "Philadelphia Highboy"
- Lesson Contents: 5 episodes; template, tool list, and photo in Episode 1
- Type of Wood: Mahogany
- Dimensions: 6-1/2" w x 12" h x 1-1/8" d
- Tool List: 3mm v-chisel; 6mm v-chisel; #3, 3mm; #3, 6mm; #3, 8mm; #3, 14mm; #5, 14mm; #7, 6mm; #7, 10mm; #7, 14mm; #8, 6mm; #10, 5mm; #11, 2mm; #11, 3mm
- Skill Level: Advanced
- Casting Available: Having a 3-D reference is tremendously helpful and allows you to get an accurate assessment of the carving's size, shape, and depth.
Lessons in this Series:
I have plans to create a lesson for the Shell to complete the series. Stay tuned!