Carving a Camellia Flower – Beginner Lesson #8

2017-05-23T16:53:39+00:00 June 28th, 2012|

This is a brief introduction to "Carving a Camellia."

This Beginner Lesson is available to FREE Members.

This lesson shows how to carve a camellia flower (similar to a rose). It covers a lot of wonderful carving techniques - working with the grain, creating depth by making overlapping petals, and working with different gouges.

• Lesson Contents: 2 episodes; template, tool list, photo, and written instructions in Episode 1
  • Type of Wood: Basswood
  • Dimensions: 5-1/4"w x 4"h x 3/16"d
  • Skill Level: Beginner
= More Lessons at the Basic Skill Level =

1. mike1940 March 19, 2015 at 12:47 pm - Reply

Just curious to know Mary if this camellia flower should be further refined or not. I kind of like the tool marks because it does illustrate that it has been carved with hand tools, but what would you do?

• Mary May March 19, 2015 at 9:15 pm - Reply

You can certainly clean up the tool marks if you wish. Quite often the lessons I show really get up to a certain point of making the details, but if I wanted it to be really “cleaned up” I might spend another 20 or 30 minutes going over the surfaces and getting rid of tool marks. You can also sand the surface, but I try to resist that – I simply don’t like sanding, and it also changes the surface of the wood. Sometimes it’s the only way to get the desired affect. Just be careful not to lose any of the sharp details with sanding.

Then again, the tool marks make it really hand-carved.

2. Ruth DAmbrosio May 31, 2016 at 12:12 pm - Reply

Ruth

Thank you. Found them. Its amassing to go through lesson 13 and see a teacher, teach something she loves.

• Mary May June 1, 2016 at 11:04 pm - Reply

I DO love to carve! Have fun!

3. Claudio J. Oliveira February 15, 2018 at 11:15 pm - Reply

Estou verdadeiramente aprendendo muito
    Mais do que eu imaginava

Obrigado

Claudio J Oliveira

Translation:
    I am truly learning a lot
    More than I imagined

• MaryMay February 19, 2018 at 9:11 am - Reply

Thank you!

4. Bonnie Luidl March 20, 2018 at 3:39 pm - Reply

I did the Celtic clover leaf recently. It can be very mind numbing. I have to do more work on it to clean it up, but love the look.

• MaryMay March 26, 2018 at 2:29 pm - Reply