This is a brief introduction to "Carving a Concave Shell with 'V' Radials."
This lesson shows how to carve a concave shell, a central detail on a Thomas White desk from the 1760s. This shell has a unique, double "V" cut radials incorporated in the design.
- Lesson Contents: 2 episodes; template, tool list, and photo in Episode 1
- Type of Wood: Mahogany
- Size: 5"w x 3-1/4"h x 1"d
- Tool List: 3mm v-chisel; 6mm v-chisel; #3, 6mm; #3, 8mm (can use the #3, 6mm instead); #3, 12mm; #4, 22m; #5, 14mm; #8, 6mm; #8, 10mm; #10, 5mm; #11, 3mm (optional); #6 12mm (used once)
- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Casting Available: Having a 3-D reference is tremendously helpful and allows you to get an accurate assessment of the carving's size, shape, and depth.