Helpful Tips & Tricks

2018-04-04T15:30:40+00:00 March 21st, 2018|

This is a brief introduction to "Helpful Tips & Tricks."

This single episode lesson covers a variety of tips and tricks for cleaning up a completed project as well as guidance for a number of cuts and issues that don't always show up in every lesson. These include carving knotty wood, eliminating "steps" and "scallops" made by multiple cuts, using unique applications of pressure on the tools to avoid breaking delicate details in relation to grain, removing and preventing "fuzzy" areas, and more.

• Lesson Contents: 1 episode
  • Type of Wood: Basswood & Butternut
  • Size: Variable
  • Tool List: 6mm v-chisel; #1, 14mm; #3, 3mm; #3, 6mm; #3, 14mm; #5, 14mm; #7, 6mm; #7, 10mm; 6mm skew-chisel
  • Skill Level: Basic

= More Lessons at the Intermediate Skill Level =

1. Barry Waitkus March 22, 2018 at 6:44 am - Reply

I just received your new book. Awesome!! Best I found for instructions yet. Thanks!!

• MaryMay March 26, 2018 at 2:30 pm - Reply

Thanks so much!!

2. Denny Dutcavich June 5, 2018 at 5:05 pm - Reply

I am relatively new to the site and was cruising around looking for that special lesson. The cool one that was so was so far out of my skill set that within a two hours I would be ready ready to go melt down my gouges (only kidding – mostly). Then I came across this lesson. I have problems with fuzzies, who doesn’t. Then in the last 5 minutes, you covered how to hollow out a leaf. I have struggle with this simple task for a long time. This 5 minutes was “worth the price of admission”. Great!!!!

• MaryMay June 6, 2018 at 1:34 pm - Reply

So glad to hear! Have fun!

3. Steven M June 14, 2018 at 11:14 am - Reply

This year! Unfortunately not right now but this year I need to get signed up with Mary and spend some Fall and Winter nights carving along with her videos… and this sort of music.

• MaryMay June 25, 2018 at 9:47 am - Reply

🙂

4. Rob Drown July 6, 2018 at 7:47 pm - Reply

Just a thought. When you were trying to get fuzzies out of an acute corner in the middle of the video, how about using a sharp carving knife. Like a Sloyd knife or a chip carving knife. The point of the knife could slice in those sharp corners. Or maybe a very small dovetail chisel. You are a very good teacher and I really enjoy watching your videos. Thank you.

• MaryMay July 10, 2018 at 7:25 am - Reply

That’s a great idea. Any tool that you can fit into the tight corners will work. I am just cautious recommending using these knives if you are not familiar with how to use them safely. Keep all body parts away from the blade!