Carving a Country Scene

2017-04-08T23:35:35+00:00 May 18th, 2016|

This is a brief introduction to "Carving a Country Scene."

This three episode lesson shows how to carve a country scene in low relief. Learn to trick the eye with perspective and create the illusion of acres of land at a depth of no more than 3/16" of wood.

• Lesson Contents: 3 episodes; template, tool list, and photo in Episode 1
  • Type of Wood: Mahogany
  • Size: 12"w x 8"h
  • Tool List: 3mm v-chisel; 6mm v-chisel; #1, 10mm; #1, 18mm; #3, 3mm; #3, 6mm; #3, 14mm; #3, 18mm; #5, 8mm; #7, 6mm; #7, 14mm
  • Skill Level: Intermediate
= More Lessons at the Intermediate Skill Level =

1. nicholas yearwood July 12, 2016 at 9:25 pm - Reply

Nice

• Mary May July 12, 2016 at 9:33 pm - Reply

Thanks!

• David August 22, 2016 at 2:08 pm - Reply

Can you use this information if you use palm tools? I have always admired your work and your attitude while teaching but I do not have the same type gouges etc. that you use.

• Mary May August 22, 2016 at 2:23 pm - Reply

Yes, palm gouges will work also. I generally recommend using the longer handled gouges for better control and safety. I would suggest purchasing one or 2 long handles tools just to feel the difference, but all of the lessons can be done with palm gouges also – as long as the curvatures match. But please be careful! I see more blood from using those!

2. Mike Eifert March 20, 2017 at 9:26 am - Reply

I really enjoyed this lesson and carving scenes like this country barn is something I want to do more. I have one problem. Where I live there is only one wood carving supply store and they have a somewhat limited stock of wood. Especially when it comes to widths. Your template for this lesson suggest a 10″ wide piece of mahogany. The only thing they had in this width is basswood. Worked fine, however, next time I would like to use a richer grain wood like the mahogany you used. Can you recommend somewhere (online?) that is reputable and has a good selection of wood varieties?

• Mary May March 20, 2017 at 10:20 am - Reply

Hello Mike,
      I know there are online wood suppliers, but will need to do some research. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? Please comment if you do.

Thanks!

• Mike Eifert March 20, 2017 at 11:55 am - Reply

I have found one supplier, Wood Wind Hardwood. Very nice people but they do not appear to deal with smaller orders. I put in an order for two pieces, one cherry and one mahogany both 12″x8″ and never heard back from them.

• Mary May March 21, 2017 at 9:07 pm - Reply

Hi Mike,
          That is pretty typical. Your best bet is purchasing from an actual supplier to woodcarvers, as they are used to dealing with smaller orders.

I suggest making friends with a local furniture maker. They always have small scrap pieces that they won’t be able to use, but are perfect for carving.

Happy shopping!